This post is sponsored by Foster Farms Air Chilled Chicken but the content and opinions expressed here are my own.
Summer is here and its time to get your grill on! No matter what type of grill you have: indoor, outdoor, gas, or charcoal…your meal is guaranteed to be delicious. I mean, who can resist those grill marks? It’s just asking to be the main event at your next picnic!
When planning a family picnic, simple is best. And this Grilled Cajun Chicken Sandwich recipe using Foster Farms Air Chilled Chicken Breast Fillets has become a favorite of ours. It’s easy to prep and quick to cook. Plus you can adjust the seasoning to your liking.
What is Air-Chilled Chicken, you ask?
Air-Chilling is a method for cooling chicken during processing, the benefits include better taste and texture, and faster cooking time. This is a win-win for me!
- Since excess water is not absorbed during air-chilling (in comparison to water-chilled chicken,) the natural juices in air-chilled chicken are not diluted and the texture is unaltered, which leads to more flavorful and tender pieces of meat.
- Because air-chilled chicken doesn’t absorb excess water, it tends to cook faster than when chicken is water- chilled.
You can find Foster Farms Simply Raised Air Chilled Chicken at Safeway and Albertsons.
| Cajun Inspired |
This recipe was inspired by our trip to New Orleans. I still dream about the food I ate there. It’s bold and favorable…and packs a good amount of heat. There’s different variations of Cajun seasoning and it will always consist of a blend of salt with a variety of spices, like cayenne pepper (that’s where the heat comes from) and garlic.
You can find pre-made seasoning at your local store or simply make it with the recipe below. That way you can control the ingredients.
| Grilled Cajun Chicken Sandwiches kids will love|
1 Tbl Olive Oil
6 Sandwich Rolls
Optional: Tomato Slices, Pickles, Roasted Peppers, Lettuce
Spicy Mayo (see notes)
Cajun Spice (Kid-friendly and adjustable to your liking)
½ tsp Pink Salt
½ tsp Lemon Pepper
½ tsp Garlic Powder
½ tsp Onion Powder
½ tsp Oregano
¼ tsp Thyme
¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
¼ tsp Smoked Paprika
1. Combine the seasonings and set aside.
2. Cut chicken fillets in half. Brush both sides with oil. Rub Cajun spice over both sides of the chicken.
3. Place the chicken fillets in a bag or container. Cut lemon into slices and place half of them inside. Refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight.
4. Grill chicken over medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side or until it reaches 165* degrees.
Serve immediately. Place on a board with sandwich fixings for a BYO (Build-Your-Own) picnic lunch!
Since this is a kid-friendly recipe with not a lot of heat, the Spicy Mayo makes up for it. Combing ¼ cup of mayonnaise with hot sauce to your liking. I used a Louisiana hot sauce for this recipe.